Monday, September 9, 2013

#Backstreets Back...ALRIGHT

So one of the greatest things happened this weekend. My best friend and I went and saw Backstreet Boys live in concert!!! As a little girl, when I listened to their tape on my boombox, I only dreamed of the day I would see them in concert. They were my favorite imaginary boyfriends, every male doll was either Brian, AJ or Nick (my favorites) and I knew every word to every song. I was one obsessed little girl but considering I was 7-8 in 1995 when they first hit big, there was no way that my parents would let me go see them in concert, or afford it for that matter.

But after almost 20 years of waiting...yes unbelievably its been 20 years, I finally saw my imaginary boyfriends perform. And let me tell you they were AMAZING, SPECTACULAR, LEGENDARY, UTTERLY UNBELIEVABLE my childhood dream became a reality!!

So how does this relate to fashion you ask, well thats a good question. For the concert, my best-friend [who has an amazing teaching blog that you should definitely check out!] and I decided that we would dress for the occasion, meaning time travel back to the 90's. So we hit the local goodwill and we found some amazing printed spandex and a high-waisted denim skirt. However we needed more for our outfits ideas. So we looked up 90's fashion, the crop tops, high-waisted jeans, the denim shirts, the hats, scrunchies and floral motif.

After my research I realized what great timing the concert had with fashion, becuase just as the Backstreet Boys were coming back so was the 90's fashion. Such as the post I did about floral motifs and now even the crop tops and denim skirts are popping up everywhere. There was no use for us to go to the goodwill becuase the moment we entered Forever21 we were transported back in time.

Remember Saved by the bell?
Kelly Kapowski was the hot chick on campus
Now the floral blazer, pants and dress are almost exactly what you would find in stores today. 
For example, this floral blazer from Zara

Also, remember Clueless? Of course you do, Alicia Silverstone was miss Beverly Hills, what girl didn't want to be her?
These girls knew how to pull of the plaid look and work it, I know that I wanted one when I was little and luckily now plaid is coming back in the most fashionable ways.
And this unbelievably adorable dress from alice+olivia

Like these pants from Zara














And lastly, the crop top with the high-waisted shorts: These are everywhere now:
American Apparel and Forever21 have such a large selection of crop tops that it's not a question of whether you should get one but how many and what colors or styles?

So there you go a little blast from the past. I loved the 90's, granted I am a bit biased but you have to admit, the cartoons and the music was so much better!

I hope you all listen to the new Backstreet Boys album, there are just as talented live as they are on the cd. They were definitely from the era when some musical talent was necessary unlike all the auto tone bs we have now.

I hope everyone has a great Monday and week!!!

1 comment: